The oldest buildings at Glencree were built as a British military barracks in an effort to squash the Wicklow element of the 1798 Rebellion. We still use these buildings today as a residential and meeting/conference centre and café and have coined the phrase from Rebellion to Reconciliation to capture the history of Glencree; from being a place of military occupation to being one of peace.
- Café Serving: Home-made soups, sandwiches, hot & cold snacks
- Gift shop: Local crafts, maps, souvenirs & jewellery
- History of Glencree Exhibition
- Outside dining deck to enjoy our panoramic views
- Great base from which to explore local walks & cycling trails
- Visit the nearby German Military Cemetery
- Conference & Small Meeting Room available to hire
Currently: For the Month of January: Wed – Fri 9.30am – 5.00pm / Sat & Sun 9.00am – 4.30pm
Check out our facebook page.
Coach parties, walkers, cyclists, clubs (book, bridge, history etc.) welcome and catered for. This is a wheelchair friendly facility.
For bookings, contact us on +353 (0) 1 276 6025 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The German Military Cemetery, Glencree
Next to the Glencree Centre for Peace and Reconciliation, in a landscaped quarry, is a stark reminder of the vast scale of the Second World War. This is the German Military Cemetery, containing 134 bodies. It is one of the many German war cemeteries in Western Europe. The quarry itself was owned by Lord Powerscourt, and it probably first came into use to supply building material for the nearby Glencree military barracks in 1803 (now the Visitor Centre).
Although a neutral country on the edge of the main battlefields, Ireland did not entirely escape the direct effects of the war. Some of the Germans killed in action over Ireland resulted from causes such as aircrafts getting lost in foul weather or crashing as a result of damage in action over England. Running out of fuel and navigational errors from inexperience also caused fatalities. These Luftwaffe (Air force) personnel are all buried in Glencree. Interred here also are a number of regular naval personnel (Kriegmarine) whose bodies were found washed up, sometimes in remote coastal locations. Fifty three of the air and naval service men buried in Glencree have identities while twenty eight others will never be known.
Those who engaged in the ‘secret side of war’ are also buried here. Dr. Hermann Gortz, who took his own life to avoid arrest as a spy was buried in Glencree. He is the only person who also has an individual memorial. Set at the back of the graveyard it is a finely carved stone relief.
The dead are not entirely confined to World War II. Six soldiers of the First World War are also interred. These soldiers died while prisoners in a British prisoner of war camp located in Ireland in 1915-18.
Set on a height above the cemetery is a fine Celtic type high cross. A poem set in polished stone close by the entrance articulates the poignancy of Glencree. These words are by Professor Stan O’Brien, a dedicated supporter of the Irish German Society. Through the wrought iron gates the pathway leads to the ‘Hall of Honour’, a place of reflection and prayer. A mosaic Pieta, designed by Berlz, the Munich born painter decorates the interior wall. Just beyond the Hall the gravestones are laid out in eight slightly curving arcs.